One repeating thought that's been coming into my head (spirit?) over the last several months has been 'redig the ancient wells'. I've heard that expression before and aware that it relates to the time of the patriarchs, but I've been giving more thought and study to what it means for me, especially as it relates to Sabbatical.
My study took me back to Genesis 26 where Isaac finds himself (because of famine) in the land of Gerar, home of the Philistine king, Abimelech. He was on his way to Egypt at the time but the Lord challenged him to stay in Gerar, put his roots down and God would bless him. 'Do not go down to Egypt. Do as I say, and stay here in this land. If you do, I will be with you and bless you. I will give this land to you and your descendants…'. While in Gerar Isaac was blessed amazingly, but the Philistines got jealous and forced him out of Gerar Central into the Gerar valley. Here, with no water for his crops, Isaac found the wells that his father Abraham had dug, which the Philistines had filled in after Abraham's death. They also found a gushing spring. Claiming these wells for his own use didn't come without a fight and some heavy negotiation with the local people, and so we have wells called names like, 'Argument' and 'Opposition'. Isaac even took the time to dig some new wells and eventually Isaac and the Philistines entered into a non-agression pact and lived there under God's blessing until the next chapter of his life unfolded.
I did some more research and discovered that the root word in Hebrew for Gerar means ‘to bring up the cud’ and is used to express the idea of ‘rumination’ or to think deeply about something.
One commentator writes, "it is the very picture of scriptural meditation, of pondering and speaking out, over and over, what God has said--until those words become part of the ruminant’s heart and are incorporated into his very life. Meditation is the process whereby the thoughts in our heads become lodged in our hearts, for good or for ill."
So in summary God moved Isaac out of what was familiar, settled him in a new place for a time, a place of meditation, a place of blessing and provided for him in part by laying hold of his historical identity and the blessings of the past (the ancient wells)
Ah, now I'm getting excited!
The wells in my life aren't exactly 'ancient', but I have been amazed how already this year God has brought people across my path that have been very significant in my past. Each of who had a special role to play in my own development as a Christian and as a leader. For the most part I didn't plan these encounters at all. I had some quality time with Jim (in June) who was my first 'boss' when I started ministry and showed me the heart of a pastor/teacher - a man filled with the Holy Spirit and possessing wonderful teaching and healing gifts. Then there was Bruce (in July), full of eccentricity, but having an infectious love for the lost and a faithful discipler of others. I spent time with John (in August) - my quirky and brilliant principal from when I first went to Bible College. And a couple of weeks ago I spent 3 days with Mark and David (two of the groomsmen at my wedding) and Tim. These are all men of prayer, passion for God and a heart for people outside the Church. All 3 are now involved in pastoring and church planting. We had such a rich time of fellowship and sharing in the Holy Spirit.
Let me repeat, officially, I haven't even started my Sabbatical!! God has used these 'chance' encounters to remind me of his various dealings with me and remind me of what he taught me through these guys.
That's not the end of it. There are other people (and places) that are on my heart to visit over the next 8 months. It's interesting that as God draws me aside to ruminate He is taking me backwards in my journey; reminding me of my roots, his grace, the lessons he has taught me, and the shape of things to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment