Saturday, December 3, 2011

Off and racing, mean, off and slowing

Chapter 1 has started. 7 months in the making and it's here! I really am ceasing from all my labours to rest and find renewed energy, vision, passion, joy, focus, health, life, relationships.

So here I am - 11582m above sea level (so my flight path details tell me). High above all earthly worries and concerns. I returned home from a mission trip on Tuesday and was leading a funeral up the coast on Wednesday. It was for the mother of a young couple I've had quite a bit of contact with in the past. Their faith is taking shape and its one of those situations where God lays someone on your heart and you just know that he has a purpose for them in knowing him. I married them, led a thanksgiving service for their daughter, took the funeral for her mum and this week took the funeral for his mum. The only thing I haven't done is baptize the both of them in declaration of their own faith. I pray that day may come.

The above, kinda brings into focus the tension I find in "taking a break". How do you take a break from being a Christian? How do you take a break from reaching out to people and taking opportunities that God brings along. Even as I start this leave I am thinking of people I want to catch up with - they are generally those on the fringe of church in various stages of journeying towards the Lord. I'm not sure that God wants me to "take a break" from them.

One thing I AM taking a break from is "news". I've now gone 3 days and nights without any news! (Sounds like Jonah in the belly of a whale cut off from the outside world). The truth is I'm a news junkie. I read my Manly Daily every day. I even read the days I miss if I've been on holidays. I read smh online. I listen to news in the car. I watch it at night, often on 2 channels. It's an insidious addiction where I actually subconsciously believe that if I didn't listen to/watch the news then there wouldn't be news. Thats right! I convinced myself that I am indeed the reason the news exists. OK, too far - but you get the idea.

I started to think of what I was going to put in my backpack to go away and realized that I simply wouldn't have room for some things, because other things were more important. It was then I realized, 'you know, I need to create space in the pack of my spiritual life for LOTS of God.' Problem is, I cram my head so full of information each day that I squeeze contemplation out. I find it hard to relax because my mind is overstimulated. Answer? (for me)...No News. For 8 months. Ok, I've only gone 3 days - but we'll see. I've said to my pastor buddy, just flick me anything of national importance that I really need to know - otherwise, nothing. Funny, how when 6 o'clock came around and I DIDN'T turn on the television. Bit scary. This might be kindergarten stuff for most of you, but for me it's a big deal.

So there you go - sabbatical insight number one: if you want to meet with God, create space.

Cabin announcement: please turn off all electronic devices. Ha, see, there you go, switch it off so there's no interference.

Blessings. Until later, bye for now
Ian

1 comment:

  1. feel like i am travelling with you guys already. what an adventure. liking the 'media fast', and the idea of creating space. i am sure your 'frequency' will be tuned in like never before.

    lois

    ReplyDelete